The mission of the Student Diversity & Community Engagement office is to develop health care professionals who are reflective of the communities, patients and region we serve, and who have gained an understanding of the many forms diversity and inclusion take.
we believe that all people are multi-dimensional. we are global citizens with rich experiences and perspectives. we are inclusive. we are advancing the future of health care.
we are rush.
The Student Diversity & Community Engagement office works with students, faculty, and staff to create and sustain a welcoming and inclusive university environment for individuals from all backgrounds. We accomplish this in three main ways:
- cross-collaborative months: the office works collaboratively with students, staff and faculty to provide monthly educational and celebratory events to honor the backgrounds and heritages of a variety of groups from wide-ranging backgrounds.
- Diversity & Inclusion Certificate Program (DICP): starting in the 2018-2019 fall academic year, incoming students of all four colleges will be offered a 6-session certificate program to deepen their knowledge of unconscious bias in the healthcare system and ways to speak up and out against bias.
- student affinity groups: the office provides support and mentorship to student affinity group leaders to host lunch-n-learns, film screenings, festivals, and educational events. in collaboration with us, these groups host co-curriculuar activities that raise the level of awareness and appreciation for the many types of diversity at rush.
student affinity groups
- american medical student association (amsa)
- american women surgeons
- asian pacific american medical student association (apamsa)
- interprofessional minority student association (imsa)
- jewish students association (jsa)
- latino medical student association (lmsa)
- rush christian fellowship (rcf)
- rush muslim student association (rmsa)
- rush pride
- rush university diversity and inclusion (rudi)
- south asian students association (sasa)
- student national medical association (snma)